Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Galileo, May 11, 2018.
what is scary is a cavalier acceptance of stupid laws
Guess I have more important things to worry about. Not going to lose my mind over not being able to have a friggin switchblade.
Are you this upset over jaywalking laws? Those are pretty stupid don't you think?
you just don't get it do you? you ought to study a well known pastor from Nazi Germany for needed edification
And there's the Nazi Germany reference. Because of course outlawing switchblades is going to lead the US down the road of another Nazi Germany. Get a hold of yourself.
They don't have to hit the target, most people see a gun and go the other way, particularly if they are not supposed to be there in the first place. Since I'm not a robber or other type of scumbag, I wouldn't find myself in that situation, but personally, the person with the nervous hands and itchy trigger finger scare me more than the one in total control...
We should ban white cars. People with white cars get pulled over by police more often than other cars I.e., white cars temp more people to beak the law.
The current spate of anti switchblade laws were a product of 1950’s Hollywood movies that linked switchblades with rebellious teens, creating an irrational fear. Most of the switchblades of those years were cheaply made of Italian make or the erroneous labeled German variety with a folding latch, many brought back from WWII by returning GIs (some that formed motor cycle clubs). Then too were the springless gravity knives that were issued to German paratroopers and pilots for one handed deployment to extricate from Parachutes if hung up. Despite depictions in movies these were all extremely poor choices as weapons, more likely to break in use than be effective, as most locked open with a pin that was not only weak but the blade had a tendency to fold back if significant pressure was applied to the blade. The OTF variety of the day would jump track and were likewise poor choices for serious use.
The OTF variety were often referred incorrectly as stilletos. The iconic Italian switch blades were actually more of stilleto design, a stilleto being a long thin, triangular blade. And, the blades on these knives had both cheap steel and poor geometry for taking a good cutting edge.
The prohibitions on switchblades have persisted for years because of the Hollywood myths, but are vastly inferior to many knives, like a working man’s Buck 110 (which I, and anyone learning the blade snap, could open as fast) but had a more robust locking mechanism, and in the 70’s could have a $5 one arm bandit aftermarket thumbstud added (the origin of today’s thumb studs). Many of today’s non auto knives with better locking mechanisms, Spyderco type blade holes or thumb studs could be opened as fast, if not faster (less time hunting for a button), and have far better blades for serious use, yet the prohibition still exists.
My knife collection (nearly 100 hand made) had quite a number of switchblades, some very well made, but none would be my first or even second choice for self defense. You can have some idea of whether someone lacks knife skills if you see a knife or hear it opening, with someone with skills, you don’t see or hear the knife. A skilled fighter doesn’t wave a knife around...real knife fights are more like a prison depiction of a fight, an ambush, with many rapid stabs.
My point is, like AWBs that identify mislabel and AWs by cosmetic features, some laws, particularly those associated with knives, are based on ignorance and manufactured hysteria and misconceptions of risk rather than reality. And, often these laws are applied capriciously, applied in a discriminatory fashion... they are not unlike a law that might ban cars of a particular color.
What is scary are laws created with no real sense of practical logic.
Just a side note for those that acquire folding knives for SD. Liner locks have a particular and potentially dangereous design flaw, they can easily fail if the blade is smacked on the spine... try it. While they can be improve by careful stone fitting and an active spring behind the liner spring, failure can be better prevented by a lock safety like CRKT’s Lawks safety. Better yet, forgo, a liner lock with an axis lock or the old style frame lock (still weaker than an axis lock). Or, better yet, where legal, use a fixed blade. Anyone seeking advice on features for folder that make for better choices for folders for SD can PM me.
That wasn’t the meaning he was conveying.
Don't need to. I recognize the difference between fact and opinion... unlike you.
The state of New York is an adequate place to begin.
§ 265.10 Manufacture, transport, disposition and defacement of weapons and dangerous instruments and appliances.
1. Any person who manufactures or causes to be manufactured any machine-gun, assault weapon, large capacity ammunition feeding device or disguised gun is guilty of a class D felony. Any person who manufactures or causes to be manufactured any switchblade knife, gravity knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles, metal knuckles, Kung Fu star, chuka stick, sandbag, sandclub or slungshot is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
2. Any person who transports or ships any machine-gun, firearm silencer, assault weapon or large capacity ammunition feeding device or disguised gun, or who transports or ships as merchandise five or more firearms, is guilty of a class D felony. Any person who transports or ships as merchandise any firearm, other than an assault weapon, switchblade knife, gravity knife, pilum ballistic knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles, metal knuckles, Kung Fu star, chuka stick, sandbag or slungshot is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
3. Any person who disposes of any machine-gun, assault weapon, large capacity ammunition feeding device or firearm silencer is guilty of a class D felony. Any person who knowingly buys, receives, disposes of, or conceals a machine-gun, firearm, large capacity ammunition feeding device, rifle or shotgun which has been defaced for the purpose of concealment or prevention of the detection of a crime or misrepresenting the identity of such machine-gun, firearm, large capacity ammunition feeding device, rifle or shotgun is guilty of a class D felony.
4. Any person who disposes of any of the weapons, instruments or appliances specified in subdivision one of section 265.01, except a firearm, is guilty of a class A misdemeanor, and he is guilty of a class D felony if he has previously been convicted of any crime.
5. Any person who disposes of any of the weapons, instruments, appliances or substances specified in section 265.05 to any other person under the age of sixteen years is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
6. Any person who wilfully defaces any machine-gun, large capacity ammunition feeding device or firearm is guilty of a class D felony.
7. Any person, other than a wholesale dealer, or gunsmith or dealer in firearms duly licensed pursuant to section 400.00, lawfully in possession of a firearm, who disposes of the same without first notifying in writing the licensing officer in the city of New York and counties of Nassau and Suffolk and elsewhere in the state the executive department, division of state police, Albany, is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
And right up until the moment of the shooting, the Parkland students felt no need to worry about their own safety while attending classes.
Feelings possess neither relevance, nor importance, as they do not reflect what is actual reality.
Let me refresh your memory:
"If the replication crisis is a sign that science isn’t broken, then what does “broken” even mean?
In the stem-cell case, self-correcting science did appear to work as advertised: Problems in the paper were discovered by attentive colleagues shortly after it appeared in print. But the recent history of science fraud suggests that many more examples come to light not quickly and not via any standard self-corrective mechanism—e.g., peer review or unsuccessful replications—but rather at a long delay and through the more conventional means of whistleblowing. That’s how Diedrik Stapel, a notorious fabulist with 58 retracted papers in social psychology, was discovered in 2011. The fact that Stapel’s brazen fraud had not been caught (or self-corrected) earlier made his case a seminal event in the current replication crisis. Why had no one noticed, in strictly scientific terms, all the false effects that he’d slipped into the literature?"
SLATE: SCIENCE, Is Science Broken? Or is it self-correcting? By Daniel Engber, Lisa Larson-Walker, AUG. 21 2017.
Is it being denied by yourself that the gravity knife prohibition in the state of New York, has overwhelmingly been used to victimize and harass minority individuals who were doing nothing wrong?
we'll have to agree to disagree on this thread.
No need. I already assumed that you'd copy and paste in utter irrelevance.
Let's try again. Can you confirm that you indeed have no evidence that the Australian researchers falsified their results?
Given that Fake Science is now a serious issue, do you have any evidence that the "results" can be trusted?
That's actually a good point. Since knives cut just as well no matter how they are deployed, why are certain types banned?
In New York, "gravity knives" (folding knives which can be flicked open with one hand) are illegal. NYC cops used to search Con Edison technicians because the cops know they carry a knife, the cop gets the folding knife and stands there flicking it over an over until he can make it deploy like a gravity knife. Its an easy (lazy) arrest for the cop.
Last year, Cuomo vetoed a bill that would solve these types of problems.
“We worked closely with stakeholders to address concerns about the unfair treatment of workers who carry cutting instruments not to perpetrate an illegal act, but to simply do their jobs,” said Austin Finan, a spokesman for Mr. de Blasio. “The final version of the bill ultimately failed to strike an appropriate balance between fairness and public safety.”
The excuse for vetoing the bill: “Blades which can be surreptitiously flicked open with one hand are dangerous weapons that do not belong on city streets and subways".
If you know knives, almost any folding knife (particularly one that has seen some use) can be flicked open.
In NYC, your knife would be illegal.
well, they were supposed to have armed security.
So you're saying that no evidence can be trusted? Another post truther? As I said, they're using publicly available data and well known methodology.
So, in summary, you have no evidence that the Australian researchers falsified their results. You made the libellous claim just because you don't like their findings.
Again you ignore the now well documented fact that science fraud (Fake Science) has created a crisis of credibility for all published scientific studies.
"The past several years have been bruising ones for the credibility of the social sciences. A star social psychologist was caught fabricating data, leading to more than 50 retracted papers. A top journal published a study supporting the existence of ESP that was widely criticized. The journal Science pulled a political science paper on the effect of gay canvassers on voters’ behavior because of concerns about faked data."
"The vetted studies were considered part of the core knowledge by which scientists understand the dynamics of personality, relationships, learning and memory. Therapists and educators rely on such findings to help guide decisions, and the fact that so many of the studies were called into question could sow doubt in the scientific underpinnings of their work.
“I think we knew or suspected that the literature had problems, but to see it so clearly, on such a large scale — it’s unprecedented,” said Jelte Wicherts, an associate professor in the department of methodology and statistics at Tilburg University in the Netherlands.
More than 60 of the studies did not hold up."
NEW YORK TIMES, Many Psychology Findings Not as Strong as Claimed, Study Says, By Benedict Carey, Aug. 27, 2015.
Read and learn.
Beyond that the record of Fake Crime stats generated by governments attempting to cover up crimes is very well documented. Surely you know that by now.
The DP has always focused on disarming black Americans.
Separate names with a comma.